Connect with us

UK Home Secretary Priti Patel demands social media censorship

British citizens, British government, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ibn Warraq, Robert Spencer

Oped

UK Home Secretary Priti Patel demands social media censorship

UK Home Secretary Priti Patel has called for the removal of social media posts that “glamourize” dangerous migrant crossings from Europe. Writes Christine Douglass-Williams

They may “glamorize” the perilous journey for Leftist woke sympathizers, but they also showcase the big problem with illegal migration for those who are paying attention to its ill effects. In fact, the videos publicize the British government’s ongoing incompetence regarding border control, endangering British citizens and putting national security at risk.

Patel recently admitted that the concept of open borders was flawed. She has promised repeatedly (and in vain) to end illegal migration in the face of growing public outrage. Her promises continue to be nothing more than hollow attempts to pacify the public.

Author Ed Husain, who made news several years ago on Jihad Watch for saying that seizing jihadi’s passports would only increase the jihad threat, and who also “went out of his way to launch a gratuitous attack” on Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ibn Warraq and Robert Spencer, ironically warned in his new book that a parallel society is developing in parts of “Muslim Britain.” He noted that “Muslim communities are distancing themselves from wider British society and adopting stricter versions of their faith.” An example: “Mosques run schools and pronounce on Islamic law. Restaurants offer gender segregation under the polite name of ‘family seating.’”

It should be obvious that an illegal Muslim migration invasion exacerbates these problems.

Several days ago, Illegal Muslim migrants threatened “mob unrest” if their housing demands were not met.

British politicians are not the ones who will face the fallout from illegal Muslim migration. But all they care about is benefiting from the Muslim vote.

According to BBC news dated June 6, 2021:

In a letter to social media companies, Ms Patel said videos promoting “lethal crossings” were “unacceptable”.

Facebook, which also owns Instagram, said people smuggling was illegal and that content encouraging the activity was “not allowed” on its platforms.

Several hundred migrants have attempted to cross the Channel in the past week.

Reports that a Border Force ship entered French waters and picked up migrants from a UK-bound dinghy are being investigated by the Home Office.

Ms Patel’s letter was sent after a video that appeared to show a group of men crossing the Channel in a dinghy went viral on TikTok.

People smugglers use posts – which also feature on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter – to promote crossings to desperate migrants, the Home Office added.

“Posts which promote and even glamourise these lethal crossings are totally unacceptable,” Ms Patel said.

“They encourage others to leave a safe European country and put their and their family’s lives at risk and are even used by people smugglers to promote their deadly business.”

“What these posts don’t mention are the people who have died trying to make this crossing, or those forced to spend 13 hours in unseaworthy boats in freezing waters,” Ms Patel said.

She added that social media companies had “made progress” in removing the posts but “must quickly and proactively… before more men, women and children die in the Channel”.

A Facebook spokesman responded: “People smuggling is illegal and any ads, posts, pages or groups that co-ordinate this activity are not allowed on Facebook.

“We will continue to work closely with law enforcement agencies around the world, including the NCA (National Crime Agency) and Europol to identify, remove and report this illegal activity.”

Border Force dealt with four boats carrying 83 people across the Channel on Friday.

So far this year, there have been more than 4,000 arrivals, a trend that could see this year’s numbers outstrip last year’s total of about 8,500.

The Home Office said it was “cracking down on the despicable criminal gangs behind people smuggling” and more than 4,000 people had been prevented from making the crossing so far this year.

But Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council, said the government’s approach was not working.

“The reality is that when fleeing war, terror and persecution, ordinary people are forced to take extraordinary steps to seek safety in another country,” he said.

“Creating safe and regular routes to the UK – through an expanded resettlement program, humanitarian visas and reforming the restrictive family reunion rules – is the way to effectively address the issue.”

‘Rescue the priority’

Meanwhile, the Home Office is investigating a Daily Mail report that a Border Force officer asked a French ship for permission to collect a group of migrants in French waters last weekend.

Lucy Moreton, from the Immigration Services Union, said she had no first-hand knowledge of the incident, but there had apparently been no threat to life.

She said it was a common tactic for migrants to threaten to throw someone overboard if a French vessel came too close, because migrants knew if they were picked up by a UK ship, they were “as good as here”.

The Prefecture Maritime de la Manche in France said the risks that migrants crossing the Channel faced included overloaded boats, makeshift vessels, lack of life jackets, cold sea temperatures and inappropriate clothing.

“The priority is therefore to be able to rescue them,” a statement said.

Please follow Blitz on Google News Channel

Recommended for you:

Blitz’s Editorial Board is not responsible for the stories published under this byline. This includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on WeeklyBlitz.net

Click to comment

Leave a Comment

More in Oped

Popular Posts

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Top Trends

Facebook

More…

Latest

To Top
%d bloggers like this: