Connect with us

Journalist shot in anti-government demonstrations in Haiti

World

Journalist shot in anti-government demonstrations in Haiti

Blitz-CPJ News

The Committee to Protect Journalists called on Haitian authorities to investigate the shooting of a reporter during an anti-government demonstration and to ensure the safety of journalists covering ongoing protests.

Haitian journalist Robenson Sanon was shot and wounded yesterday in the capital, Port-au-Prince, while covering protests calling for the resignation of President Jovenel Moïse, as reported by local media. Sanon, a correspondent for Reuters in Haiti, told CPJ that he was shot in his right arm during clashes between protesters and police and taken to a hospital where he received medical attention. He was released later yesterday and is home recuperating. Sanon told CPJ he believes he was shot in crossfire by armed demonstrators, not by police.

“Haitian authorities should not use the ongoing demonstrations as an excuse to delay an investigation into the circumstances around Robenson Sanon’s shooting,” said CPJ Central and South America Coordinator Natalie Southwick in New York. “Journalists in Haiti must be able to cover breaking events like protests without facing gunfire or other dangers.”

The press has been the target of several attacks during the recent protests, the secretary general of the Association of Haitian Journalists, Jacques Desrosier, told CPJ.

Over the last week, demonstrators have hit journalists, damaged press vehicles, and tried to take journalists’ equipment, according to a joint statement by three local press freedom groups. The statement said that the offices of the National Television of Haiti have been attacked, agents from the Haitian national police have threatened journalists, equipment has been burned, and there have been instances of broadcast outlets frequencies being jammed.

At least seven people have been killed in the protests, which began on the second anniversary of the start of President Moïse’s mandate, February 7, according to media reports.

CPJ tried to reach the Haitian national police at the phone number posted on their website. An agent provided a different number to call instead. When that number was dialed, an automatic message said that the call could not be received.

Journaliste touché par balle au cours des manifestations antigouvernementales

Le Comité pour la protection des journalistes a demandé aux autorités Haïtiennes d’enquêter sur le coup de feu qui avait blessé le journaliste au cours d’une manifestation antigouvernementale, et de garantir la sûreté des journalistes qui couvrent les manifestations en cours.

Hier, dans la capitale, Port-au-Prince, le journaliste haïtien Robenson Sanon était touché par balle et blessé lorsqu’il couvrait les manifestations réclamant la démission du Président Jovenel Moïse, selon les médias locaux.

Sanon, un journaliste attaché à Reuters en Haïti, a déclaré au CPJ qu’il avait été touché par balle au bras droit au cours des affrontements entre les manifestants et la police. Il était transporté à l’hôpital où il avait reçu des soins médicaux. Il a reçu son congé de l’hôpital hier, plus tard dans la journée, et il se rétablit chez soi. Sanon avait indiqué au CPJ qu’il était blessé par les tirs croisés des manifestants armés, et non pas par la police.

Natalie Southwick, le Coordonnateur de l’Amérique centrale et de l’Amérique du Sud à New York avait dit « Les autorités haïtiennes ne devraient pas utiliser les manifestations continues comme prétexte pour retarder une enquête sur les circonstances de cette blessure subie par Robenson Sanon. Il faut que les journalistes en Haïti puissent couvrir les événements comme les manifestations sans affronter des coups de feu ou des autres dangers. »

Jacques Desrosier, le Secrétaire général de l’Association des Journalistes haïtiens, avait indiqué au CPJ que, pendant les manifestations récentes, la presse a été la cible de plusieurs attaques.

Au cours de la semaine dernière, les manifestants ont frappé les journalistes, ils ont endommagé les véhicules de presse, et ils ont essayé d’enlever les équipements des journalistes, selon une déclaration conjointe émise par trois groupes pour la liberté de la presse. La déclaration avait indiqué que les bureaux de la Télévision nationale d’Haïti ont été attaqués, que les agents de la police nationale d’Haïti ont menacés les journalistes, que les équipements ont été brûlés, et qu’il y avait eu des cas de brouillage sur les fréquences des chaînes de diffusion.

Selon les rapports médiatiques, au moins sept personnes ont été tués au cours des manifestations, qui avaient commencé le 7 Février, date du deuxième anniversaire du début de mandat du Président Moïse.

Le CPJ avait essayé d’appeler la police nationale d’Haïti en utilisant le numéro de téléphone indiqué sur leur site web. Un agent avait fourni un autre numéro à sa place. Après avoir essayé de composer ledit numéro, un message automatique avait indiqué l’impossibilité d’accepter l’appel.

Blitz’s Editorial Board is responsible for the stories published under this byline. This includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on WeeklyBlitz.net

Click to comment

Leave a Comment

More in World

Advertisement

Trending

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

More…

Latest

Advertisement
To Top
%d bloggers like this: